ِYou want to be on the cutting edge of an exquisite destination of ecotourism in 2020? You probably should try to explore it in an unmatched country like Iran. Although we can provide different tours, we are specialized in the nomadic journeys. Our featured tour, Kuch, is one of the trending destinations for cultural adventurers. Kuch tour is getting more and more popular these days and it is a mixture of an ancient nomadic culture, pristine nature, and warm welcoming people. Nothing can explain this tour better than the following video:
“I had a dream to visit mighty Mt. Zagros. But I had no idea we still have ‘Nomads’ behind those majestic unspoiled ranges. Around two years ago, I made my dream happen. When I reached there, I was totally mesmerized by the out-of-this-world landscape and truly surreal experience of visiting the most authentic people I have ever met: the ‘indigenous people of Iran’. Still, I can remember quite clearly all the emotions I felt when first got to know about these unique people. To me, what they were doing was like an Odyssey, ‘a long journey with a lot of adventures and difficulties’, moving with their families & herds of livestock in Zagros valleys between their summer & winter pastures. It was also an adventurous, spiritual odyssey for me; an epiphanic trip in which I got to know more about myself and my life. How? Let’s read about the very epitome of Nomadic life: KUCH.
Kuch: Nomads’ Transhumance
A nomadic transhumance, or simply migration (Lori: “kooch” or “kuch”) is an epic experience in which the nomads embark on their odyssey in the great Zagros mountains twice a year to accomplish their most important goal of their lives: seasonal migration. In this epic, ten-thousand-year-old hard-labor pilgrimage, nomads move between the pastures with their livestock while carrying all of their belongings. They do kuch either in summer to reach high valleys of Zagros, or in winter, to lower valleys where the weather is warmer. Then, for a few months, they temporarily settle, before it is time to undertake the journey once again.
Kuch Tour: An Odyssey Where We Belong
After the unique experience of kuch with the nomads, we got to connect and know more about our roots. It was like traveling back to hundred years ago, living with a nomadic tribe in a serene mountainous area. We learned:
- These nomads are the indigenous people of Iran.
- They are the only ones who still do transhumance in Iran.
- They used to be half of the whole population 40 years ago, but now they are only 1%.
- They play a vital role in the environment. (watch the Ted Talk).
- We MUST DO something to help them preserve.
So, we came up with the idea of ‘Nomad Odyssey’ (Kuch Tour) in which we, in a small group, join the nomads in their seasonal migration while they are trekking the ancient nomadic trails in the Mt. Zagros. We designed the kuch tour because:
- When the nomads see people from all around the world come to have a first-hand experience of their nomadic life, they get to know how precious their lifestyle is.
- We wish to encourage the nomads to preserve their unique lifestyle.
- We care about the environment & sustainable tourism.
- We wish to give travelers a chance:
- to live the ancient lifestyle of Iran Nomads.
- to enjoy the scenic beauty of the mountainous areas.
- to experience the adventurous nomadic life away from the hostel & bustle of city life.
Who Can Make the Most of ‘Kuch Tour’?
As one of the most exciting destinations in Iran, ‘kuch tour’ and living with the Iran nomads are highly recommended to these people:
- Nature-lovers who wish to discover the true meaning of pristine nature of Iran. By joining the nomads behind the Zagros mountains, deep in the heart of nature, one can see the sublime beauty of Iran’s landscape.
- Anthropologists who wish to live, know and listen to Iran indigenous tribes. The unique culture of these people can be a great source of inspiration for those who like to know more about humankind.
- Adventure-seekers & Mountain-climbers who love the mighty, snow-covered mountain peaks. Zagros is without a doubt one of our greatest mountains; a land of contradictions where one can experience both the rugged mountain ranges and vast rolling hills. Standing on the summits, you can see what the sun is touching.
- Environmentalists who have environmental concerns, and wish to do something for the Earth. Those who know how important it is to preserve cultural diversity in various communities. Please read the following articles to see how nomads practice permaculture.
- Photographers & Video-makers who seek to capture special, novel moments and sceneries; a kind of beauty they’d only expect to see in postcards. Here you can read why it is a perfect photography spot.
- Families who would like their children to experience the nomads’ authentic life, rather than just reading about them in books. In Kuch, children have the chance of living with the nomads in the heart of nature; as if they are in a nature school. The more they see, the more they want to discover. Here is what children can learn from the nomads.
- Wellness Destination Seekers who like to spend some time relaxing, putting some time focusing on their mental health. Here you can read how nomads of Iran can be a retreat destination.
- Slow Travelers who wish to keep themselves open to new experiences.
- Voluntary Workers who are looking for a chance to try their skills in a completely different environment. Those who are more concerned about the cultural aspect of the nomadic life and wish to help these people survive have the best opportunities with these indigenous people.
- And all who like to challenge themselves to see their potentials. Here are four main reasons why Iran should be your next adventure destination.